Monday, November 21, 2011

Taylor Swift and Relationship Musings

Though I am already in my late-20s, I am a self-confessed Taylor Swift fan. 



Sure, she's been infamous for her string of relationships with good-looking men in the past (Taylor Lautner, John Mayer, and Jake Gyllenhaal) but I have to give her credit for her talent in both singing and songwriting. 

Interestingly, the songs she writes are mostly based from past experiences. 

Each song tells a story and some of them I can relate to. Well, anyone who  has been in a relationship probably will.

I have a few favorites but lately, I've been listening a lot to her single, The Story of Us. The first time I heard it, I was like... Whoa?! Was this song made for me? 

The song is somewhat a recap of a recent episode in my life.

The first lines of the song couldn't have been any more precise. 

"I used to think one day we'd tell the story of us
How we met and the sparks flew instantly
People would say they're the lucky ones"




From the lyrics, you could tell that this is a song about whirlwind romances that have fizzled out. The surge of emotions during the first stages lead one to believe that it is love when in reality, it is simply a case of infatuation. And once the emotions have settled, disaster happens. 

While love always has emotions involved, the latter isn't the be-all and end-all. Being blinded by emotions often leads to one to view relationships through rose-colored glasses. 

After a relationship's end, awkwardness is expected between exes. Truth be told, there will always be awkward moments no matter how amicable the separation was. As for me, I have yet to find out if it isn't always true.

"Now I'm standing alone in a crowded room
And we're not speaking
And I'm dying to know, is it killing you
Like it's killing me"

Simply put, breakups are never easy regardless of who initiated it. 

Like a wound, you just have to let it heal over time. Let go, move on, and forgive but never forget the lessons behind the pain. Though a relationship has come to end, life still goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment